Last year was, embarrassingly, the first year I became interested in watching Wimbledon. Even with a family full of Wimbledon enthusiasts, I just couldn’t quite get my head round the game and didn’t understand what the fuss was all about! However, I was lucky enough to be invited to Wimbledon by a good friend last year and this is when it all clicked; I watched every match I could, I grasped the rules of the game, I became hooked. I suddenly wanted to be the next Tennis star – watch out Serena Williams!
So, whilst Wimbledon gets into full swing, I’m at home with the tennis on, making Wimbledon inspired treats to get me excited for next week as I’ve been extremely lucky to get another invite for this years Men’s Semi Finals. And although we’ve yet to experience the warm British summer we’re all hoping for, I’ve decided to pretend it’s sunny anyway and make some Pimms Ice Lollies. If you fancy making some too, the recipe is below!
Pimms Ice Lollies
500g strawberries, hulled and cut up into smallish pieces
10 mint leaves
100g golden caster sugar
20 thin slices of cucumber, cut into quarters
- Put the strawberries and mint leaves in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the strawberry mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
- Add the Pimm’s, lemonade and sugar, stirring together until combined and the sugar is dissolved.
- Divide the cucumber pieces into lolly moulds and pour over the strawberry mixture, dividing equally.
- Put the mould in the freezer and leave to freeze for at least 4 hrs or until frozen solid.
- To remove the ice lollies, dip the mould in hot water for a few seconds, then carefully remove the lollies to serve.
For those who just want a Pimms Cocktail:
The recipe is from BBCs Good Food website (click here for the link) and I’m really impressed with it; it’s extremely simple and delicious! I hope you enjoy making and of course eating these Pimms Ice Lollies, I know I will! Plus enjoy getting into the Wimbledon spirit, don’t forget your strawberries and cream at the supermarket shop this week!